Uftring Technology Center
- Internet access
- PC workstations
- Screen reading programs
- Computer training
- WeWalk canes
- Portable and desktop video magnifiers
- Independent living aids
- Blind and low vision products
- Talking products
- Braille embosser
- Voice activated smart speaker
- Beginner White Cane Clinic: Participants are issued a long white cane and provided basic instruction from a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist in protective techniques, human guide, and long white cane use.
- Intermediate White Cane Clinic: Participants build upon the skills taught during the Beginner White Cane Clinic based on their individual needs. Travel occurs in indoor environments (including stairs) and outdoors navigating sidewalks and obstacles. We DO NOT teach street crossings during these clinics.
- Technology Help Center: Participants meet with certified Assistive Technology Instructor who have experience teaching technology to people with low vision and blindness to answer questions, assist with troubleshooting existing devices, and investigating potential technology options to make everyday life more accessible.
- Various other “pop-up” education opportunities! We offer “pop up” educational sessions covering subjects that range from nutrition to information about the latest assistive devices. We encourage patrons to suggest topics we can research and include in our educational sessions.
- Social Programs with meal are offered throughout the month which includes lunch or dinner, game sessions, music or other social, entertaining, or learning activities. These are promoted in the monthly newsletter, social media, and on our website.
- Field trips to plays, concerts, parks, shopping, restaurants, and sporting events.
- Bingo and other games in Braille or large print
- Free transportation is provided for blind and visually impaired patrons residing within a 15 mile radius of Peoria to and from Center-sponsored programs, events, and activities using either one or both of the Center’s specialized vehicles, a Ford minibus and a Chevy minivan.
- Safety features of vehicles – Hand rails, wheelchair lift in minibus, ramp in minivan, easy entrance and exit off and on the vehicles, and comfortable for dog guides.
- Assistive Technology Loaner program allows patrons to borrow equipment to use at home for a minimal deposit.
- Food Pantry distributed monthly. Distribution dates are included in the monthly newsletter and on the website.
- Personal assistance with completing forms, Braille, and mailing.